Trauma Sensitive Schools
Training of Trainers
Curriculum Objectives Participants will:
1. Understand the term child traumatic stress and know what types of experiences constitute childhood trauma.
2. Understand the impact of trauma on the brain development and behavior of children.
3. Learn how the impact of traumatic stress can be prevented and/or mitigated by the use of trauma-informed responses and strategies.
4. Identify “secondary traumatic stress” and learn strategies for taking care of You
5. Describe a framework for creating a “trauma-informed” culture.
This curriculum was sponsored by North Dakota Department of Public Instruction and created by Heather Simonich to provide a meaningful opportunity for schools to learn about childhood trauma and prepare to mitigate its effects on children.
Trauma Sensitive School training is designed to be provided over three, 2-hour professional development sessions However, they can be tailored to fit the varying duration of professional development sessions. For example, it is possible to deliver this curriculum in two, 3-hour professional development sessions, or six, 1-hour sessions. It is often necessary to extend the team to allow for dialogue among staff while they discuss the many topics.
Costs are based on the number of participants and hours